The Rotary Club of Madras was inaugurated on 10th May 1929 and Chartered on 19th July 1929, making it the first Rotary Club in South India & erstwhile Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). Rotary Club of Madras is the third oldest Club in India, after Calcutta and Bombay.
Rtn. James Wheeler Davidson, from Calgary, Canada, is credited with the formation of Rotary Club of Madras, while Rtn. C.G. Armstrong, Chairman, Madras Port Trust, was the first President. Rtn. Morton Chance, of the Hotel Chain, was the first Secretary. Rtn. Rajah Sir M.A. Muthiah and Rtn. Mohd. Usman were the first Indian Members of the Rotary Club of Madras.
Over the years, leading luminaries from various businesses, professions & vocations have been Members of the Rotary Club of Madras. Guided by the theme, “Service above Self”, the Club is credited with pioneering work in the area of eradicating Red Measels and with the Pulse Polio Immunisation Programme, adopted by Rotary International.
The Community Service Projects of Rotary Club of Madras include:
- Rotary Nagar, since 1947: Read more.
- Rural – Urban partnership at Sembakkam, 30 kms from Chennai: Read More:
- Boys Town at Gummudipoondi and Selaiyur
- 3H Project for Rehabilitation of people already afflicted with Polio
- Rebuilding the lives of fishermen & their families, after the devastating Tsunami hit Sulerikattukuppam, near Mahabalipuram, during December 2006.
- Periodic Medical Camps for less privileged sections of society
- Scholarships to deserving students
- Vocational training programmes at Boys Town.
- Donation of medical equipment to hospitals
- Old age home at VHS Centre, Taramani, Chennai.
- Mid – day meals scheme to nourish students from weaker sections of the community
- Thaneer Thaneer, project to renovate temple tanks and recharge ground water.
- Mobile vaccination - Vaccinating about 200 people per day across 15 zones in Chennai city coming under the GCC ( Greater Chennai Corporation ) approx 4000 people per month
- Vaccinate the elderly - 15 cars were allotted to 15 zones to vaccinate the elderly. Vaccinating approx 100 to 150 ppl per day. Joint project with the District 3232
- Static health Camps ( His / Her initiative )
- Project Thaimaai - Distribution of nutritive health hampers to the pregnant women. Dist 3232 initiative
- Donation of Ventilator to Child Trust Hospital
- Donation of various gadgets for the children was donated to Institiue of Child Health
- Donation of Kit bags worth Rs 5000 given to 100 girls on the International day of the girl child on 11th Oct to students of Govt Adi Dravidar Welfare High School
- Regular static camps for vaccination being held at various centres in Chennai .
- Donation of 20m3 capacity oxygen plant to Avadi hospital
- ACS Dialysis centre — treating approx 40 to 50 people per month —free dialysis done close to 400 patients till date
Today, the Club has 250 Members, who are distinguished citizens of Chennai and leaders in their chosen businesses/professions/vocations. Eighteen illustrious Members from the Club have risen to the post of Governor of District 3230, including Rtn. PDG. Benjamin Cherian as the Centennial Governor during 2004 – 05!!